Annual Equal Employment Opportunity Report: FORM FHWA-1391

Construction contractors who perform work on Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) assisted contracts are required to report annually on the composition of their workforce by race, gender, and job category pursuant to Title 23 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part, 230, Subpart A, Section 230.121. This reporting requirement is included in federal-aid contract provisions and applies to all prime contractors and related subcontractors with subcontracts of $10,000  or more.

Below are links to the Federal-Aid Highway Construction Contractors Annual Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Report (form FHWA-1391) and the corresponding instructions for filing out the form.

FHWA-1391 Federal-Aid Highway Construction Contractors Annual EEO Report
FHWA 1391 Form Instructions

Reporting Period

  • Contractors must identify all employees who perform work during all or any part of the last payroll period of July 2017.
  • Capture data for employees’ last payroll period worked in July as show below:
    • Corrected Date: July 23 through July 29
  • An Employee’s last payroll period worked in July may not always be the last week of July. For example, if an employee only works during the first payroll period of July, then the first payroll period of July is the employee’s last payroll period worked in July.

Reporting Procedure

  • Local agencies notify their prime contractors of this reporting requirement.
  • Prime contractors, as well as each subcontractor, report this information to their respective local agency Resident Engineer who certifies that the information is correct and complete.
  • Local agency Resident Engineers send the reports to their respective Caltrans DLAE who verifies that the information is complete.

Due Dates

  • For local public agency contracts: FHWA-1391’s are due to local public agencies by August 15, 2017. Local public agency reports are due to Caltrans’ DLAEs by August 19, 2017.

FHWA-1391 must be completed in its entirety to be considered completed satisfactorily.

If you have questions regarding the FHWA-1391 reporting process, please contact your District Local Assistance Engineer.

More information